Friday, August 24, 2007

The Prettiest iMac? (Photo History of the iMac)

Ever since Apple released the original bubble gum iMacs of the late 90s, iMacs have grown in popularity not only because of it's non-Windows (and therefore less crashy) OS, but also because that they're just so pretty. Now almost ten years later, we have the enth edition of the iMac, still looking as stylish as ever. I give my most sincere props to the iMac product designers for their continuously evolving and so-damn-cool designs.

Let me take you back in time to see the how the iMacs have progressed design-wise from the yummy candy colors to the sleek brushed aluminum...

1998

Announced in May 1998 and shipped in August, the brand-new iMac was Apple's computer for the new millennium. Next to the blah looking beige PCs of the nineties, the iMac looked so cool with it's colorful plastic exterior. They certainly caught the attention of kids, teenagers, even adults who never even used Apple computers before. And to be honest, I was one of them. Before this iMac came out, I didn't even know Apple computers existed (what an ignorant little teenager I was back then).

1999

New flavored iMacs were relased in 1999 which brought us brighter, more dazling new colors... blueberry, strawberry, lime, tangerine and grape (they even sound yummy). Personally, I love the strawberry. The iMacs also went from a tray type to a cooler looking slot loading CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive.

2000

In contrast to 1999's fruity and candy colors, the year 2000 brought us iMacs with shiny, almost jewel-like exteriors. Personally, I like the previous colors better, although I'm sure some guys would think otherwise. These colors look too masculine for my taste.

2001

In 2001, Apple chose to get rid of Sage and Ruby in favor of "Blue Dalmatian" and "Flower Power". According to Apple-History.com, these two new patterns were molded into the case using a technique which took Apple 18 months to perfect. However, I do think that they should have thought of nicer designs, maybe took on popular graphic designers to do the designs for them. I mean seeing that they spent a lot of time perfecting their technique they should have put a lot more thought into the designs themselves.

2002

Next to the latest design, this is my favorite iMac design. It's the first time Apple introduced a flat screen iMac and boy does it look fantastic. Steve Jobs proudly announced, when this new iMac was released, that "The CRT is officially dead." I completely agree. I love the combination of the thin monitor with the spherical cpu and speakers. Apple also went all white this time, which I think is certainly a breath of fresh air. Pretty, pretty, pretty.

2004

In 2004, Apple got rid of the extra lump at the bottom and completely integrated the processor and the rest of the computer's innards in the monitor casing, which they managed to keep just two inches thick. This streamlined new iMac is great and all, but I still prefer the 2002 design because of the screen's ability to rotate and change angle's easily. This two inch screen seemed too clunky in comparison to the last design.

2007

The latest iMac is a redesign of the 2004 model. They did a great job design-wise, if I may say so myself. The basic design is still the same except that everything is just so streamlined this time. The cpu and monitor is now so much thinner and is now made of anodized aluminum. Even the keyboard looks a whole lot better. This is my favorite design so far.

Apple iMacs have certainly made a lot of breakthroughs in the computer design department. They took risks, but all these (except maybe for a certain flower inspired iMac) certainly paid off. I no doubts that they will come up with more amazing designs in the future. But right now, I'd say their latest design is almost perfect. I say almost because let's face it, nothing is perfect. This one however, comes as close as it can posibly can.

U U U

0 Comments: