Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The Palm Foleo Makes Sense


The Palm Foleo was announced a few months ago and is due to be released anytime soon. When I first heard about this device, I was seriously doubting the saleability of a device that was not quite a laptop and not quite a PDA. It seemed so in-between to me.

However, the more I hear about this device and the more I thought about it, the more sense it made to me. I mean a lot of people nowadays use their laptop just for email and web browsing, why not have a device that does this alone and does a good job on this? Think about this, it turns on instantly (no long startups), it's lightweight, it has 5 hours battery life, it has wifi, come to think of it, it is starting to sound like a very good idea.

All we have in the name of portable email and web browsing before the Palm Foleo were puny devices with tiny keyboards and/or equally tiny and clunky touchscreen pads. It's either that or laptop computers that cost and arm and a leg and with lousy battery life to boot. The only problem I have with this is the lack of support for video and multimedia. Come-on, even PDA's and cellphones can play multimedia. I'm not asking for dvd playback after all, just online embedded video or videos from email attachments. Surely they can add this feature later?

Anyway, you can check out these links for more info on this device.

U U U

6 Comments:

Anonymous said...

This would be good for those business man that can't do without their emails and business stuffs. But if you can make do with a smart phones that has a qwerty, like treo, e90, p1i, etc. I think that would be a better option because of its size.

Anonymous said...

I really don't feel this, I think there are a lot of slim laptops out their that can be a better option.

Maris said...

i realize that the palm foleo won't make sense for a lot of people. for instance, people who do a lot more on their laptop than check email and surf the net. or people who value the portability of a smartphone too much.

however, being a person who loves the net and constantly wants to be online, this is a great alternative to a heavy laptop or a smartphone with a tiny screen.

Anonymous said...

but it would still be a hassle to carry this with you. Unlike when you have a smartphone, eventhough it doesnt have a big screen, you can still check emails and surf the net with it.

Anonymous said...

The Foleo is going to sell far, far more units than the Internet gives them credit for. This has mass-market Wii written all over it:
http://profoleo.com/2007/08/a-niche-market/

Anonymous said...

Finally, someone who sees it like I do. I can see a lot of applications for the Foleo. Businesses for instance could opt to give these to their executives instead of laptops. Plus students who use laptops to take notes would certainly value the Foleo's simplicity and lightness factor.

I love your website by the way, I'll add it to my list of links. Thanks!