Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Why Is The Zune 2 Better Than The iPod?

The PMP battle is now in progress and surprisingly, the new Zune is a worthy contender. I do hope the iPod is ready for some competition. Don't get me wrong, I love the iPod. However, I can't help realizing that Team Zune Luv from Zuneluv.com does have some valid points in their article 7 Ways Zune Beats iPod. Here are their two best points in my opinion...

Podcast as top-level entry. It always bugged me that Podcasts were a “category” in music (or video) in the iPod. That was just so wrong on so many levels that it is great to see that cleaned up. Don’t get me wrong, I have music and Podcasts on my Zune - there is just a time and place for everything (and now they both have their place).
Bonus – I can now shuffle music content and not worry that an episode of the Bitterest Pill will show up in the mix.

> I agree, I love podcasts and I think they should have their own top level menu entry. Lumping them in with Music and Videos just creates confusion.


Radio. I seldom listen to radio but found myself in the gym watching a news clip on the monitor that caught me eye. They do that broadcast the audio on FM thing so I switched over quickly, got my fix and went from there. 3 minutes of usage total – but it was nice to have.
Bonus – We live in crazy world where a radio nearby is never a bad thing. Usage will continue to plummet but having that option in the case of an emergency is a comfort.


> No matter how large our music library is, we do get bored with our music sometimes. For the freshest tunes, nothing beats the airwaves.

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Zune looks nice and its new functions are great but iPod still is the best. Nothing compares to the iPod interface, usability and design, although Zune really seems like a good product. Have you seen this iPod Touch ad made by an user? http://www.weshow.com/us/p/21278/home_made_ipod_touch_ad
It shows in less than 30 seconds why Zune is good but an iPod is an iPod. Period.

Maris said...

Yup, I saw that ad over at the apple official site. It's very nice, considering that an iPod Touch user created it.

I guess what I meant earlier was that since the Zune is now proving to be competition for the iPod, I hope that Apple might see this as a challenge to make their product better. I mean iPods are great but they're not perfect after all.